Monday, February 13, 2012

I will always love you...


This blog is dedicated to one of my musical idols-Whitney Houston (1963-2012) may she rest in peace!
One of my earliest musical memories from my childhood was laying awake at night WAY past my designated bedtime waiting to hear B96's (a Chicago radio station) "top 5 at 9" where for WEEKS and WEEKS on end Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" topped the charts at number 1.  I would wait patiently until the song began and quickly  push record on my tape player (yes tape player) and exhale quietly as my younger sister slept next to me, and watched as the tape began to pick up Ms. Whitney's magical voice. 

My best friend Rubina and I would belt out her songs in the privacy of my basement REALLY thinking we captured the tone and sound of her voice (kids can dream can't they).  For in the three minutes that the song took to play we could be anything we dreamed of being. 

Her death served as a reminder to me that as cliche' as it sounds-life is TOO short.  This Valentine's day I will make it a point to carve out a moment in my CRAZY life and acknowledge what is truly important to me.  My husband and three beautiful kids, my family, and friends, my work that I love so dearly.  At the end of the day these are the people and things that I can honestly say I will always love...

I Will Always Love You

Until next time-have an eventful day.
Zaiba Hasan

No comments:

Post a Comment